September 13, 2006

Because I WANT to.

I've been reading some very interesting articles on environment, genetically modified foods, over population, over consumption and over all destruction of virtually everything we humans come into contact with.

Goodness, we are rather destructive aren't we. And as I read these articles, these comments and papers, as I view clips and snippets of seminars by various experts on the subject, my heart sinks and my urge of competition, my urge to do my part at it's fullest, most best, better, PERFECT crushes me as I realize that until our society as a whole, we people as a whole see this, come together and work on it as one, the journey will be a long and arduous one.

Why. Why in my defeatist state do I believe this to be arduous? Because we live in a culture of Want. Need is something that has been lost. We have come to only know want. Like the first born child with a new sibling, need is casually eclipsed by the shiny new invention. WANT. Its almost biblical in proportions, the way we clamour onto these wasteful, short lived products of uselessness, acting as if this thing will save us from ourselves. Salvation through consumption I suppose.

But Need. What does that mean?

The basic need of clothing, shelter, food. Not excessive clothing, expansive shelter and wasteful, harmful, chemically filled, genetically altered food.

And I am defeated because I am guilty. Oh, so very guilty. I over consume, I over spend, I over extend. I am part of the problem. But today, I've decided I would like to be part of the solution. Long and arduous? Its a challenge I am willing to take on.

Go outside today, Gwyn. Look at the mountains. Look at the ocean. Look at the sky. This is your home. Not your apartment in the West Side, but this. All of this. Look at it all. And try. One step at a time, work towards living a more ecologically healthy life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Howdy, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just wondering if
you get a lot of spam remarks? If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can recommend?

I get so much lately it's driving me mad so any assistance is very much appreciated.

Check out my web blog http://www.Fupagames.com/dollar7use/Info