August 30, 2006

Whoa.

Hmm, third post today. What does that say about my 'Free Time' at work? Actually, I was compelled to post for a few reasons. I am trying to find a good Yoga school to take my teacher training at in the next 6 or so months. But I can't believe how much it costs!

Actually, yes. Yes I can. I certainly understand that there is a need for money as this is most likely a means for the teachers to maintain their facility, pay the bills, pay the employees, etc etc. But it is so much! And I don't know, the places look opulent, some of them. Almost a little too posh? And also, don't forget the amount charged per drop in, or class. Doesn't that count towards the basic maintenance? I guess that's what you call good business.

Believe me, making a living and being comfortable and all that is not lost on me, and besides. The Idealist in me believes that the people who run these places have good hearts and donate money to various places or what have you, or contribute... I suppose teaching is the way they contribute? I am also sure that there is the one place out there that thinks the same way about how much it costs to do yoga these days, let alone learn it to become a teacher. And it is certainly not lost on me that yes, one day I will teach and I will see exactly why it is this way in the first place. But I am still horrified at how much it costs.

Some of these posh schools do offer student loans and such, and I suppose that is reassuring, except of course if you decide to maintain your life up until you go to school, you know, work and continue to pay those bills you have etc, you wouldn't qualify for the loan, because you made too much money. It's uncanny and a little disheartening. I guess its a good thing then that I am giving myself about 6 or so months (probably longer now) in order for me to even begin to consider doing my training.

This isn't very Zen of me is it.

No comments: