September 03, 2006

Vitamins!

I had gone and purchased more vitamins on Friday at Finlandia. Now, I love health food/herbal pharmacies. They have tinctures and capsules and more tinctures and drinks and weird concoctions that you consume or insert (!) or what have you in all different colors, shapes, packaging, you name it. But one thing I have never experienced ever in my life is the following:

I went to Finlandia on Broadway to look at getting some detoxification products. I wasn't (and still aren't) interested in doing a total fast, mostly because I don't think that kind of interruption with what delicate balance I have in terms of the digestive system would do me any good. The herbalist there asked me if I needed any help. I told him that I had basically quit drinking (yes I quit drinking, save red wine), and that I had quit smoking (yup I did that too) and was looking for something to cleanse these toxins out of my body because I was starting a new health regime and wanted to do some cleaning before the fall. But. I have a thyroid condition, and because of that I am concerned a detox may interfere with what I am taking.

'No problem!' he says. 'Let's ask the pharmacist. She'll tell you if it's alright.' Whaaa? This is freaking amazing! I looked at him and said thanks that would be awesome. So the pharmacist asked me my dose and what kind of thyroid medication it was, looked at the ingredients of the two things I was looking at and told me no, these things won't interfere. So I picked up a liver 'toner' to cleanse my poor beaten liver and a tea that cleans the blood and lymphatic system. But what impressed me the most was the fact that I was able to go and pick something and have it verified by a pharmacist whether or not it would conflict with my current medications.

Honestly it made my journey into natural supplements a little less hair raising. Before I had to take my thyroid medication I never had to worry, but since after I started taking it, I felt limited because I wasn't informed enough on the affects that this particular medication would suffer if I took various herbal remedies.

Anyway, in the end I was pleased to be able to start taking various supplements that will help get my body back on track a bit. And the update on the flu, it's still gone. I was tired a bit Friday and Saturday but today I feel more than 100% which is great. I think that was the shortest flu I have ever endured.

4 comments:

kimmyk said...

Glad you're feeling better.

I've always been amazed at what "natural" things can do for our bodies.

So tell me, is this the blog I need to update for links? Or leave old one too?

Irene said...

There's actuallly a detox program out there that will let you eat fish. I hate fish, but at least it's more than most detox programs that will make you starve yourself.

I would love to do a detox program, but I don't have the time right now. However, I have the pharmasist thing covered as my sister and one of my very good friends are drug dealers. =P

Anonymous said...

She's not fasting. She's detoxing. They're very different.

--Karin...not logged in because comments are being stupid

Gwynabella said...

lol. I don't know if I could ever fast. I like food too much.